Sunday, February 11, 2007

New Discoveries

It's amazing what can happen when someone embarks upon a walk through the historic city centre of Reading. Today I discovered a great market full of fresh produce, meats, and foods. There were even wonderful cheeses imported directly from France. I stocked up on enough food for a week with some great bread, cheese, crackers, and the most important ingredient of all... WINE. Yes, that wonderful grape concoction that makes my blood boil with anticipation. The ruby red liquid swirls in my glass emitting a bouquet of scents a dozen flowers could never produce. The lovely velvety texture cascades down my throat like a pure intoxicating waterfall. I write this as I am consuming an intoxicating elixir from Southern Australia. A Shiraz with a bountiful array of flavors with hints of cherry and and spices. It's quite literally made my day. If only I could meet a man to love as purely as I love this wine, I would endeavor to make him feel the way I do. One day. We shall see. There is always hope.

The sun was out today as I sniffed the flowers at the flower mart and perused a variety of breads. The anonymity of having no one know who I am in this strange city was actually quite humbling. It reminded me that my petty concerns are felt by all and that all of the concerns I have for this world while important in the grand scheme of things are moot. Life continues in the way that it has for centuries before I was born. It will continue years after I am gone. I don't aspire to grand history-making feats like conquering worlds or becoming famous or rich. I just want to be loved. To be loved, it requires me to love. To love unconditionally, without bias or malice. To forgive those who have hurt me the deepest and let life continue. To greet each day and each person as a new beginning and strive each day to not let the past hurts and disappointments cloud my hope for the future. This is above all my greatest wish. To be loved. And to love.


Oh and I woke up this morning with the sniffles. I think I have allergies. I put my sheets in the wash 7 hours ago only to get them out and they remained damp. I may have to sleep on the couch tonight and let them air dry. That is about it.

Good luck. Good night.

Barbara De Angelis
Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"This is my greatest wish."

Wish...or obsession? Nothing of which you dream is the end all be all. There is no magical transformation when you find someone into whom to can repose all of your hopes, fears and desires. If you like the person you are now, you will find that nothing was missing all along. JEC

Metalchick said...

I love the person I am now. It's my greatest wish to share that with someone else. It's not an obsession since I get offer all of the time but they aren't right for me. If I was obsessed, I would have settled a long time ago for less.